IONE, CA: Travel back to olden times at the beautiful Preston Castle, from 10 am to 4 pm, and find lots of interesting arts, crafts, jewelry, baked goods, and other gift items while listening to Christmas Carols.
- Santa will be available for your wish lists and photos, starting at Noon.
- You may take a tour of the historic Preston Castle, 10 am to 2 pm, both days.
- On Saturday night, you can view the Castle lit up in Holiday Lights, from 5 pm to 8 pm.
- You can take a special historical tour of the Castle by flashlight, from 7 pm to 9 pm on Saturday. Advance purchase only. Limited to 75 guests.
- Sierra Nevada Guns for Hire will be entertaining everyone on Saturday with Old West comedy and gun fights.
- Fiesta Fresh Grill will be on hand to take care of your hunger.
Preston Castle Olde Tyme Country Christmas
Saturday and Sunday, December 12, 13, 10 am to 4 pm
Preston Castle, Ione, CA
Free for Fair, Bazaar, Lights
$10 Day Tour, $20 Night Tour
Sponsored by Preston Castle Foundation
Tuesday Rubsam, Chairperson
About Preston Castle Foundation
The strikingly beautiful Romanesque style Preston Castle, on a hill in Ione, was actually the administration building for the Preston School of Industry, the first major attempt in California at rehabilitating, instead of just imprisoning, young offenders. Opened in 1894, the Preston School of Industry became a leader in the juvenile prison reform movement by giving convicted boys a real chance at life by educating them not only in academics, but in all of the useful trades of the time. Closed in 1960, when the Preston Youth Authority moved into a new administration building down the hill, the Preston Castle was left to deteriorate due to weather, vandalism, and general neglect. It now serves as a vacant, but vitally important landmark for Ione, Amador County, and the Motherlode. It is a California State Historic Landmark and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Mission of the Preston Castle Foundation is to preserve, rehabilitate, and utilize the historic Preston Castle site. We are proud of the fact that the State of California has deeded the title for the Castle, four other buildings, and surrounding 13 acres of land, to the Preston Castle Foundation. This year we are working hard to obtain our own water and sewer connections. To help raise money for this important project, the Foundation sponsors several fund raising events throughout the year.
The final event for 2015 is a holiday fair/bazaar called Old Tyme Country Christmas on December 12 and 13. Also, these dates will be the last public tour days until April 2016.
Help Save the Castle and learn more about our history, events, and tours by visiting: www.prestoncastle.com. All contributions are tax deductible.